Thursday 18 March 2010

Fancy a .....


Sorry about the title, but I couldn't resist (Yes I know, I'm a very shallow person...and I'm going straight to hell etc...).

I managed the above shot while actually "Birding Burravoe", a concept which has been quite alien to me recently, due to holidays and work etc. It was good to get out on patch, and find that I'd not been missing anything much. The only difference is the birds seem to be gearing up for the breeding season at last, with lots of display and singing. Twite have been noticeable for the first time in a few months, and with Snipe 'drumming' and Ringed Plovers displaying, it actually felt like Spring! The only birds of note being 7 Bar-tailed Godwits at Loch of Littlester. These birds are pretty scarce in Shetland, but Burravoe is one of the few places where they Winter, although they do range quite widely, so finding them can be a bit of a challenge.

The last few days has seen a remarkable showing of mammals up here as well, with 4 Polecats, 2 Otters and a White Mountain Hare. Although I must add that these weren't on Yell, as I think the Polecat and the Hare would be 'firsts' for the island! (at least I've never seen either on here) Though I do want to know why I always see these things when I'm;

a. Not Looking for them!

b. don't have a camera with me!

Surely I'm not alone in this achievement? Could this be a subject for the 'Myth Busters'?http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/about/about.html


No comments:

Post a Comment