Tuesday 6 July 2010

Orcas & Seabirds

Thanks to a text from Brydon this morning at 08:30, I spent an enjoyable two and a half hours watching Orcas in the Yell Sound. Though mostly distant, they did provide decent scope views, but alas too far for the cameras (I'll not embarrass myself here by posting the pics I took as they were truly awful!)... The pod was made up of at least 4 individuals, with one bull and what looked like 2 cows and a fair sized calf. I even tried to get ahead of the traveling pod and position myself on a headland, but to no avail... Oh well maybe next time. But a great experience all the same, and it saved me from the house work too ;)

A visit to my local seabird city was done this afternoon, and a chance to record the barrage of sound echoing round the cliffs was too tempting, even in the Strong breeze! The birds breeding on the cliffs include; Puffin, Razorbill, guillemot, Shag, Fulmar, Kittiwake and Twite... and I've captured quite a few in the recording below... (just press play and shut your eyes, you could almost be there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment