Saturday 17 July 2010

Help...

Well It's been said before that "I need help" (along with I should "get a grip", "a life" etc...) but this time I'll admit it!

With it being a bit quiet bird wise in Shetland just now, this has found me focusing my attention on other aspects of our wildlife, mainly bugs. Now although I'm interested in various aspects of nature, 'bugs' have never captured my attention till lately! and I'm not afraid to admit that I know sod all about their names. So please help out if your able...


This first one I recon is the 'Shetland' Bee.

The second individual I'd confidently say is a Red Admiral.

Now the Third one I seem to have photographed both sexes (due to the spots), although are they 'Large' or 'Small' Whites?




And lastly this wee fella seems to be impersonating a Bee of some sort... any guesses? as I really wouldn't know where to start with this one!
Who knows where this road will take me, I might even end up with a moth trap, god help me! (sorry Steve ;) ) http://www.shetlandmisfit.blogspot.com/ Though well done on your 'first' for Shetland!

2 comments:

  1. I think that last one may be the Small Heath Bumblebee (bombus jonellus). Nature in Shetland has a page about bees http://www.nature-shetland.co.cu/brc/bees.htm
    Sadly their pictures don't seem to work, but they have some good info.

    It's nice to see the Shetland Bee surviving. They were very rare for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the help. The link didn't seem to work for me, but I've been checking out the insect pages on the Nature Shetland website as a result. I didn't even know they had insect pages till now ;) just goes to show how 'blinkered' I'd been to the smaller wild animals around me! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete