Tuesday 12 October 2010

Izzy 'in da bag'...

After 7 fruitless hours scouring South Yell for migrants, and only coming up with a 'best' sighting of 7 Bar-tailed Godwits, I'd decided to call it a day and go home. It was then that I found out about the Isabelline Shrike in South Shetland!!!............ What! I'd not received a text or heard anything through the grapevine! and this was after 3pm and the bird was reported just after 1pm. What was going on? After a few frantic calls to the South birders for some 'gen', it was a quick dash for the ferry, and the rest is history, as you can see by the pics. The day has never really got light today in Shetland, so all pics were taken on iso 800, and stupidly slow shutter speeds, but at least I got something. Many thanks to J. Nicolson for letting me use his lens too. Much appreciated mate!




With the remains of a Blackcap it prepared earlier!... Nice.

3 comments:

  1. Good bird Dougie. What do you mean no light in Shetland today ? It was lovely at Lamba Ness when I was there photographing the Shore Lark :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I can see by the pics you got, pretty stunning mate! It must just be my own personal cloud following me about, as when I get out the camera, the sun always does a runner! You know what they say about the 'sun' and the 'richeous' eh! (I stand no chance...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your shot of the shrike and it's dinner, excellent to see behaviour even if some people think it's a bit grim! I said all the decent birds would appear after I left!

    ReplyDelete