Tuesday 2 March 2010

Fieldcraft?

The dictionary definition of fieldcraft is; fieldcraft n. Making military or scientific observations in the field, especially while remaining undetected.

Alternative definition; fieldcraft n. Making yourself look more of a total tool than you already do (or is it just me?), while dressed up in camouflage gear and sporting optics....(it is just me, isn't it!) and letting your neighbours have a good laugh at the plonker that moved in next door!



Very few birders ever seem to practise this 'black art' and I can see why. Not only does it make us look very silly to 'normal' people, but the associated problems of cold, damp, mud, and damage to optics is all very real, as I've been finding out recently...
Don't believe for one second that the birds don't know your there either, as this very grumpy looking Turnstone is obviously looking at me and wondering why this ejit is lying on the beach in sub-zero temperatures.

And as for the Ringed Plover, I caught this photo just as he was about to fall over laughing...


Don't worry though, as I reckon all this 'fieldcraft' is just a fad, and it'll never catch on. After all, how many times have you seen birders using it?

For me though, it's back to work for a few days, then I'm on a special birding quest! with minimal fieldcraft required (thank god!), but it does involve a fair bit of technology (oh crap!), so I'm sure a complete technophobe like me is certain to balls it up! I'll post the results on my return...



Anyway, for those out there who were wondering about the word 'ejit' please see here; http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ejit






No comments:

Post a Comment